Following the release of consecutive major content releases during the past year featuring rocket artillery, the 50-Gun Frigate, player-built defences, leaderboards and the much-anticipated introduction of cavalry units, it is now due time to place our focus towards game polish.
Come have a read of our latest blog post for more on what we’ve been up to.
What To Expect? Changelog
Game polish encompasses a wide spectrum of improvements, additions and changes so what better than a changelog to detail it all? Here’s a relatively lengthy list of optimisations, gameplay balancing, quality of life additions and bug fixes present in this BETA release.
Client optimisations, server optimisations as well as changes to how map loading logic functions all required unprecedented development efforts. Do let us know should you face any issues whilst playing.
- Solved multiple issues which resulted in increased memory over longer periods of runtime.
- Solved multiple issues which resulted in decreased server responsiveness over longer periods of runtime.
- Performed several server-side optimisations on maps playable on different game modes.
- Solved an issue where an error was being produced when a player hits a mounted cavalryman with an artillery shot.
- Solved an instance where an error was being produced on the server when a player makes use of the auto-join function to spawn.
- Solved an instance where an error was being produced on the server when a player attempts to fire a rocket from the emplacement.
- Solved an instance where an error was being produced on the server when a player places sandbags on earthworks.
- Solved an instance where an error was being produced on the server when trying to process the ‘Hornblower’ achievement.
- Solved an instance where an error was being produced on the server when a player damages another ship using an artillery piece and disconnects.
- Servers which become full will have their connect button greyed out.
- The logic for how maps load within the game has received a complete overhaul to improve load times and reduce inconsistencies. An issue where the player would occasionally load the map of the previous round has also been taken care of.
- Performed multiple optimisations on Cavalry Units to improve framerate.
- Performed multiple optimisations on the Scoreboard to improve framerate.
- Performed multiple optimisations on various User Interface elements to improve framerate.
- Performed multiple optimisations on VoIP to improve framerate.
- Performed an optimisation on the water shader present on land-based maps to improve framerate.
- Solved an instance where players experienced a sudden spike in framerate when they launched the Voice Acting panel for the first time.
- Ragdoll Corpses are now adjusted according to the player-selected graphical preset. Using lower graphical settings will reduce the number of corpses in the field of battle, therefore, improving the framerate.
- Players are now able to toggle off horse-related effects through the game options. They are disabled by default when using the low and very low presets.
- Players are now able to toggle off destruction debris through the game options. They are disabled by default when using the low and very low presets.
- Players are now able to toggle off environmental clutter to prevent birds and other small props from showing through the game options. They are disabled by default when using the low and very low presets.
- Performed various optimisations on the Causeways map.
- Solved an instance where an error was being produced on the client when a player dies or dismounts from horseback.
- Solved an instance where an error was being produced on the client when scrolling through the scoreboard.
- Solved an instance where an error was being produced when a player fired a chain shot.
- Solved an instance where an error was being produced when a player interacted with an artillery piece.
- Solved an instance where an error was being produced when a player gets trampled.
- Solved an instance where an error was being produced when attempting to connect to the lobby.
- Solved an instance where an error was being produced when the naval vessel you’re crewing sinks.
- Solved an instance where an error was being produced when the player gathered a score.
Game Responsiveness - Server Configuration
- You are no longer able to host game servers capped to run lower than 60 FPS.
- You should ensure that your community or event servers are running at a stable framerate by using the ‘rc get serverFPS’ command.
» Issue 10 instances of the above command during gameplay and if it shows that your server’s framerate was constantly below 60 FPS, you should expect melee combat amongst other mechanics within the game to be delayed.
Gameplay - Melee Combat
- Removed the cooldown previously applied to disincentivise feint over-use as this introduced unnecessary block delay.
- Decreased the rate at which players can issue secondary attacks. Shoves and kicks now have a longer cooldown.
- Reduced the damage shoves and kicks deal when the ‘Resilient’ trait is in effect for both the Infantry Officer and Grenadier classes from 5 to 2. Classes sporting the ‘Resilient’ trait will now meet their end within 4 secondary attack hits instead of 2 if they have already been stricken with a bayonet in their upper body.
- Preventive measure towards players utilising crouching to hide melee strikes. Strikes will now remain in hold position for a longer duration if actioned from a crouching position.
- Going from standing to crouching and crouching to standing is now more responsive.
- Players will now have their movement speed slightly reduced when holding a strike or striking.
» An additional tip is now present in the game informing players of this mechanic.
- Players can no longer amend the settings file to increase their melee combat sensitivity gathering advantage over others.
- Prussian Infantry Officers now come equipped with a sword which matches the length of other factions.
- Players will now display a new indicator informing them of the direction they will block or strike towards. You’ll find multiple settings to adjust this new user interface additions including its position in your game options.
- Players will display a new indicator informing them that their combat experience is impacted should they be experiencing high latency (ping). We recommend that you play on a server correct to your region.
- Introduced a tip informing players that they will instantly face their demise should they be stricken by a melee weapon while aiming or reloading.
- The mechanic will be undergoing more improvements in future updates.
Gameplay - Cavalry Units
- Reduced the number of cavalry units available for each faction from 12 to 10 when Open Plains maps are in rotation.
- Reduced the number of cavalry units available for each faction from 8 to 6 when Causeways is in rotation.
- Hussar, Dragoon and Cuirassier class now take longer to spawn. The wave spawn timer for all cavalry-based classes has been set to 20 seconds while the infantryman retained their previous 10 second timer.
» Server administrators can configure wave spawn timers by inputting the following commands per map rotation: wave_spawn_time_seconds 10 and wave_spawn_vehicle_time_seconds 20
- Players are now immune to all damage for a maximum of 5 seconds after they spawn. Cavalrymen can quickly traverse the field of battle and make their way to the enemies’ spawn. You’ll have to think twice before attempting this rather ungentlemanly feat.
» Canyon, Fort Salettes and all Army Siege maps have their spawn immunity timer set to 2 seconds.
» Server administrators can configure spawn immunity timers by inputting the following command per map rotation: spawn_immunity_timer 5
- Strikes to the right with a sword from horseback are now swifter. The quicker slash makes for better fluidity.
- Secondary hits with a singular sword slash from horseback now deal less damage and more so than often won’t result in the player’s demise.
- Horses travelling at the slower gaits no longer trample infantryman.
- Horses no longer rear on the first shot from a firearm allowing them to continue moving. Instead, the horse will reduce its speed to the first gait. Should the horse be once again injured, it will rear consequently exposing the cavalryman to more vulnerabilities.
Gameplay - Officers The Rank & File
- Line Infantry, Grenadier, Guard, Coast Guard and Marine classes now sport a new trait - ‘Orderly’. Those in the rank and file no longer make for easy pickings while following their officer’s orders. You must be standing in line in order for this trait to become active.
» It increases your chances of surviving shots from firearms at longer distances by diminishing the damage dealt while standing in formation.
» Should your shot find its way to an enemy player also standing in line, the diminishing effect will not apply. Line versus line engagements remain just as deadly.
- Score gathered by players for maiming or killing someone when standing in line has been increased to 35.
» Amended the ‘Rank & File’ ability to include the following descriptive text - ‘You gather additional score for maiming or killing someone while standing in line.’
Gameplay - Musicians
- Increased the firearm accuracy bonus provided by musicians from 7% to 8% with the bonus stacking upwards to 12% from 10% when another musician is playing a tune along.
Gameplay - Flagbearers
- Flagbearers now further increase the chances of survival to those in the ranks sporting the ‘Orderly’ trait when shot at by firearms from longer distances.
» This is in addition to the buff they provide which improves reload speed.
Gameplay - Infantry Officers
- Infantry Officers are no longer able to tank canister or shots fired from a blunderbuss at a close-distance when being assisted by a Guard unit. Prior to this update, a bug allowed Infantry Officers not to be hit by two consecutive shots from a blunderbuss or canister.
Gameplay - Artillery & Ladders
- Increased the speed at which field guns can be moved.
- Increased the speed at which rocket launchers can be carried.
- Increased the speed at which ladders can be carried.
Gameplay - Game Modes & Maps
- You no longer have to play on the same map following a server restart. Game servers won’t always launch with the first map defined in the map rotation come to this update.
» This new feature remains true to the set player population settings.
» Server administrators can enable or disable map randomisation on server launch by inputting the following command: map_rotation_start_randomise true or false
- Reinforcements available to the defenders whilst the Army Siege game mode is playing have been increased by the following amounts.
» Fort Christina - 35 Additional Reinforcements
» Fort Pierre - 45 Additional Reinforcement
» For Schwarz - 45 Additional Reinforcements
» Camp Salamanca - 50 Additional Reinforcements
» Desert Ruins - 40 Additional Reinforcements
» Sharpton - 30 Additional Reinforcements
» Highlands - 50 Additional Reinforcements
» Arendan River - 30 Additional Reinforcements
- Hussar, Cuirassier and Dragoon units have been made available for the attackers on the following maps while the Army Siege game mode is playing.
» Fort Christina - 1 Hussar and 1 Dragoon or Cuirassier
» Fort Pierre - 2 Hussars and 2 Dragoons or Cuirassiers
» For Schwarz - 2 Hussars and 2 Dragoons or Cuirassiers
» Camp Salamanca - 1 Hussar and 1 Dragoon or Cuirassier
» Sharpton - 2 Hussars and 2 Dragoons or Cuirassiers
» Highlands - 2 Hussars and 2 Dragoons or Cuirassiers
- Moved one of the base spawns present on Causeways closer to the other when the Army Conquest and Army Battlefield game mode is playing.
- Players will now find more props which can be used as cover on the Causeways game level.
- Rotated the initial position of the carriable rocket launcher present on Desert Ruins to face towards the objective.
- Naval borders for the Martello Tower, Open Waters and Harouti Islands maps have been brought slightly closer to contain the engagement.
- Reintroduced Snowy Plains 1 & Grassy Plains 3 to the Army Front map rotation for additional variety.
- Removed the ability for Sappers to construct palisades and shooting platforms on all Plains maps, Tahir Desert and Causeways in the Army Front map rotation.
Quality of Life
- Eliminated the use of the mouse hover when using the scoreboard. Simply make use of the scroll wheel to scroll down the scoreboard.
- You no longer zoom in and out with your camera while in free-flight mode and scrolling through the scoreboard.
- Players are now provided with the ability to pan and tilt the camera while in Cinematic or Free-flight mode by using the arrow keys.
- You can make use of the new ‘Depth of Field Focus Point’ slider in your ‘Game’ setting to make your shots look crisper when in Cinematic or Free-flight mode.
- Server administrators can now enable a command to instantly build player-built defence.
» rc set instantBuildMode true
- Server administrators are now able to enable God mode per team. Players in one faction become invincible while the others won’t.
» rc set characterGodMode 1 true - Everyone becomes invincible.
» rc set characterGodMode 2 true - The Defenders become invincible.
» rc set characterGodMode 3 true - The Attackers become invincible.
» rc set characterGodMode false - Disable invincibility.
- Solved an instance which prevented players from launching the game and get stuck viewing the ‘Anvil Game Studios’ logo.
- Solved an instance which prevented players from launching the game if the 'HoldfastOptions' settings file was deleted.
- Solved an issue which caused the spawn menu to appear in white if the player joined the round using the ‘Auto-Join’ function.
- Solved an issue with the terrain popping in and out when using free-flight mode.
- Solved an issue which prevented the French Infantry Officer from equipping a lantern while holding a sabre.
- Solved an issue with incorrect localisation for the Polish language.
- Solved an issue on the Custom Map (Land) where the Army Siege game mode wouldn’t function as intended.
- Corrected the amount of available class slots for the Cannoneer on Lamarsh Fen.
- Corrected the amount of available class slots for the Cannoneer on Snowy Plains (S).
- Solved an issue with cracks within the terrain appearing on Causeways.
- Solved an issue which caused the ‘Graphic Preset’ setting to be incorrectly labelled as ‘VSYNC’.
- Solved an issue which caused players to speed up when moving up the stairs present on Fort Winston and Fort Arena.
- Removed an invisible object that players could collide with near the barn on Camp Salamanca.
- Solved an issue where a player’s volume would be automatically set to zero once you unmute them from the Round Players ‘P’ panel.
- Solved an issue where players could sail outside the boundaries of the naval borders present on Harouti Islands.
- Solved an issue where two bells where overlaying one another on Canyon.
- Solved an issue where explosives barrels were able to kill friendly players when being carried.
- Solved an issue where if you get damaged while carrying an explosive barrel and animation that the barrel exploded would play but deal no damage.
- Solved an issue where the explosive barrel would be stuck in an endless loop of being ignited if you ignite it then someone tries to extinguish the fuse and dies in the process.
- Solved an issue where multi-kills from cannon explosions weren’t counting as assist kills for the loader.
- Solved an issue which caused text to appear broken in the scoreboard.
- Solved an issue which caused some UI elements to appear blurry when playing on the lower graphical settings.
- Solved an issue where the VoIP indicator didn’t show for the player you are spectating.
- Solved an issue where the destroyed model of the rocket launcher wouldn’t match the correct rotation of the launcher before it was destroyed.
- Experimental fix towards an issue which causes cavalry units to take flight on the Desert Ruins map.
- Experimental fix towards an issue which causes rounds to prolong when playing the Naval Battlefield game mode.
- Experimental fix towards an issue which sometimes causes the player to be unable to fire a cannon when playing on the Naval Battlefield or Coastal Siege game modes.
- Experimental fix towards an issue which causes rain sounds, horse-related sounds and musician tunes to cut off.
- Experimental fix towards an issue where the leading faction indicator on the top bar UI would sometimes show incorrectly.
- Solved an issue where you would still be presented with the UI detailing your personal leaderboard standing when the round ends even if you didn’t partake in it.
- Solved an issue where your personal leaderboard standing wouldn’t show when the round ends if you’re playing with any of the secondary Line Infantry classes, Fifers, Drummers or Violinists.
» You still retain your progress in the leaderboards with these classes as the bug was specific to the end of match user interface.
- Solved an issue where sometimes your in-game soldier rank medal wouldn’t match the one present in the leaderboards.
- Solved multiple issues with overlapping UI elements in the spawn menu.
- Adjusted the visibility of horse dust particles.
Participate In The BETA!
Would you like to have a go at what’s to come? Join us in the BETA! Hop in on our Community Discord to do so. You'll find all the details in the #announcements channel. It’s a great chance for you to provide us with feedback before the update sees a full release and help us make sure that everything is working as intended while you’re at it.
Everything present in this BETA is still a work in progress and bugs are to be expected.
Community. Join The Discord!
Looking for a good bunch of fellows to play the game with? Do join our Discord! Linebattle events where players are encouraged to play in formations relevant to the Napoleonic era are hosted by the community through the week. Discord is also a great place to be to stay in touch with the game’s development. Feedback is always greatly welcomed.
If you’re a fellow in the ranks of a regiment, go declare your enlistment. Through this, you can gather access to the ‘Field Camp’ where regimental specific discussion ensues. We look forward to seeing you there!
Once again we thank you for your support and until next time, may good health be yours.
Discuss this blog post here.
Once again thank you for all of your support from all of us on the Holdfast: NaW team,
- Refleax, Rycon, Wrexial, Walki & Rejenorst
Anvil Game Studios